Another Super Bowl is upon us which means an entire Sunday dedicated to football, music, commercials, good food and drink and this year This Is Us.
Many throw parties that start early and end late. In lieu, they invite a bunch of friends over to watch.
Now I know what I based part of #imjustdrew and #fromdarktosunshine on. However, this is a time where I need “me time” or a very small crowd. I have planned and been to Super Bowl parties. What I have found is half the people haven’t watched any football all season, are talking constantly, are drunk, and it’s hard to concentrate on the game.
Normally this wouldn’t be a problem for me. But here are some reasons why it is.
1. I like to concentrate on every part, from the beginning to the end. A large, raucous crowd prevents that. I simply want to watch the game, while others have alternate plans.
2. I cannot stand annoying questions or people there for reasons other than football. This is the final game for six months or so and I like to concentrate in peace.
3. The food is usually good anywhere. But as with a lot of parties, some folks want to get greedy, evasive, and it’s hard to move around. I like small settings where the game and experience is more intimate.
4. I usually work the day after. Therefore, I’ll be crashing immediately after This Is Us. If I go to a party, I’m up most of the night. Now I have attended parties near the end but not while I’m trying to catch commercials, halftime performances, key plays, etc.
5. I had certain Super Bowl rituals. I stay off of social media, I use the bathroom during the game, I am fully tuned in, I am comfortable, and I enjoy my quiet time.
Super Bowl is by far the most watched event. For me, it’s still the game and I don’t want to miss that, although I do DVR it.
Therefore, if you’re having a big party, you can give someone else my invite. I will hang with you another time.
Now for other people, it can be great to socialize and connect. I use it for intimate isolation and fun. We all need that to stay balanced.